We’re right in the middle of the busiest moving time of the year! The busiest times for moving companies are during the summer months, May 15 – September 15, according to National Van Lines. If you’re one of the roughly 35.5 million Americans [source: www.move.org/moving-stats-facts] who will be changing residences this year, The Seay Realty Group has compiled some of our favorite moving hacks to make your job a little bit easier.
- Slide clothes on hangers directly into garbage bags. Tie at the top.
- If you’re a renter, take pictures of your house when you move in — and out. You want your damage deposit back!
- Change your address in advance of the move – at least two weeks ahead of time. You can do it online at https://moversguide.usps.com or in person at your local post office.
- Take pictures if you plan to re-create the way something was arranged in the old place – bookshelves, china cabinets, etc.
- Use t-shirts, rags, towels instead of bubble wrap to wrap breakables.
- Use suitcases for your heavier items (like books) – the handles and wheels make moving easier.
- Cut handles into the sides of your moving boxes for easy lifting.
- Think creatively when packing – use your hampers, suitcases, baskets, buckets, even dresser drawers to pack. Avoid trash bags – they might be mistaken for garbage.
- Pack a moving day bag or box! This is one of our favorite hacks – pack two changes of clothing, toiletries, cleaning supplies, toilet paper, sheets, box cutters, scissors, chargers, snacks – everything you’ll need for a couple of days of chaos. At least you’ll be clean and organized!
- Keep track of your moving expenses – some may be tax deductible.
- Stack breakable plates with styrofoam plates in between to cushion.
- Label your boxes on the side, not the top. Your moving boxes will be stacked. When labeling your boxes, put the contents & room the box will go to – like pots & pans / Kitchen or towels / master bathroom.
- Transfer utilities before you arrive. Check with your services – some you schedule more than a month in advance.
- Be organized. If you’re packing yourself, number your boxes and catalog your items, whether with a spreadsheet, notepad, etc. Be detailed – if a box goes missing, you’ll know exactly what was in it.
- Finally, from our friend Shelley T – “Remember, just like a wedding, no matter how much planning you do something either surprises you or goes wrong! Roll with the punches and keep smiling!”
Information about moving provided by The Seay Realty Group, dedicated to service and exceeding your expectations. Call us today!