If you’re on the fence about whether it’s time to downsize your home, the Seay Realty Group has prepared a list of signs that it might be time.
- You’re officially empty nesters. The kids are living in their own spaces, and retired, or close to retirement.
- It’s spring and the thought of trimming the shrubs one more time just makes you tired.
- Maintaining your big home is overwhelming. A smaller home means smaller maintenance bills
- You have empty, unused space. A dining room you haven’t used in years? Multiple guest rooms? A 3-car garage that holds one car?
- You’re seldom home but still need to pay the upkeep on your big, often empty, house.
- Your pool is unused, but you’re still paying the pool service to maintain it!
- You just finished doing your taxes and paid the property tax bill on your large home for another year, thinking that tax bill could have financed a trip somewhere.
- You want to simplify your life and minimize a little bit, too!
- You’d rather be traveling, or at a wine tasting, or visiting your grandkids, or hanging out at Marty B’s!
If those thoughts are going through your head, if your friends one story, smaller home fills you with envy, it might be time to take a serious look at downsizing.
It’s not a decision easily arrived at, because there are certain to be emotions attached to the home. One good way to help you decide if you’re ready is to make a pro-con list. Another decision-making method is to pretend you’re advising a friend. It can help you remove the emotion from the situation, which can cloud your judgement. There are other ways – phone a friend, decision trees, spreadsheets, ranking, etc. Google “decision making tools” and find a method that makes sense for you.
You will want to discuss the idea of downsizing with your family, too. It can be emotional – maybe your kids can’t picture you EVER leaving the family home – but you’ll want to hear what they have to say. They might present points of view you hadn’t considered. Ultimately, the decision to downsize is yours to make, though.
Once you make the decision to downsize, call on The Seay Realty Group. We can show you housing options in this area, and guide you through the downsizing process. Call us today!