It’s Spring in Texas, and you know what that means: Storms, Hail and Roofing Companies!!
You’ve probably had several unsolicited phone calls and visits already from roofing companies eager to earn your business. Problem is, you don’t know who to use or who to trust. We checked with a few reliable insurance folks and handymen, and compiled the following list of guidelines when shopping for a new roof:
- Call your insurance company first so you understand exactly which damage will be covered. Ask them for referrals for roofing companies.
- Obtain at least three estimates in writing. Make sure the roofing company is willing to supply references.
- Never hire a roofer that is a “storm chaser”. They won’t be around for warranty service or dispute resolution.
- Check the Better Business Bureau for a report on your prospective Roofing Contractor. Another organization, RCAT (Roofing Contractors Association of Texas), is a statewide trade association of roofing contractors in Texas.
- Ask for references from other homeowners in your area for jobs they had done within the past year.
- Ask for a copy of the contractors license. NOTE: Texas does not require individuals to acquire a license before providing roofing services to customers, putting property owners at greater risk of losing thousands of dollars to roofing scams. A license is optional, but all the better if the company has one.
- Make sure you receive a clear explanation of any warranties being offered.
- Do NOT make final payment until all work is completed to your satisfaction.
How to spot a scammer? They often:
- go door to door, offering services
- offer an amazingly good deal or claim to have leftover materials from another job
- only provide out of state references
- require a high, upfront, or all cash payment
- requests a signature on an incomplete or blank contract
- is uninsured or not bonded
- they avoid or otherwise don’t welcome your questions
- promise to “waive” your insurance deductible (this is insurance fraud)
Finally, call the Seay Realty Group. We keep a list of vendors we prefer to use, and that includes roofing contractors! 214.636.8485