Are you preparing to sell your home soon? Take a look at this checklist to make sure buyers love your home. Some steps are quick and easy, others might entail a little more work, but all will be worth it!
1. Find an outstanding realtor! Bankrate.com recommends 6 steps to finding a great real estate agent:
–Talk with recent clients
–Check their licensing with your state licensing board
–Check on their specialty – just like other professions, Realtors have specialty areas: CRS (Certified Residential Specialist), ABR (Accredited Buyers Representative) and SRES (Seniors Real Estate Specialist) are a few designations you may consider.
–How long has the agent been in business?
–What are the agent’s current listings? Does your agent use the internet effectively to showcase a home?
–How familiar is your agent with your area?
The Seay Realty Group would be happy to discuss any of these details, and more, with you.
2. Curb Appeal. How many real estate deals have been lost because of curb appeal? First impressions do count – make sure your home’s exterior is neat, clean, and eye catching. Check HGTV.com or Houzz.com for ideas on what’s important in 2019.
Get your home into the best possible shape. Declutter and depersonalize. Indoors, get rid of the clutter, even if you have to rent a storage unit! Don’t forget to declutter the garage! While you’re purging, be sure to rid your home of personalizing elements – photos, awards, etc. Check your countertops – do you really need all those items cluttering them?
Neutralize the walls. If your walls need painting, or if your walls are vibrant colors, consider painting them a neutral color. Make sure trim is scuff free, or give it a fresh coat of paint.
Fix the little things. You know … the jiggling door knob that has bugged you for awhile, the window that lost it’s seal, the torn screen, the missing light bulb. All the little details that will tell buyers you’ve taken good care of your home should be in good repair.
Clean, shine. Make sure everything is clean, clean, clean. Scrub that grout, clean those windows, vacuum those baseboards. Whatever it takes to make your home sparkle.
If you need recommendations for painters, handymen, cleaning crews, let your realtor know. Most keep lists of approved vendors who can help you out.
4. Add touches of nature. Healthy live plants, a bowl of fruit, fresh flowers all create a welcoming environment.
5. Smell Test. You’re probably used to the way your home smells – call on a good and trusted friend to give your home the sniff test, and take steps to eliminate the source of the odors. It might require carpet cleaning, or a deep cleaning, or even plumbing repair … again, well worth it!
6. Hide valuables and medications. Make sure your valuables AND medications are locked up tight, or stored off-premise.
7. Consider staging your home. Home stagers will arrange your furniture and decor to showcase your home in its best possible light. Your realtor can recommend stagers they have worked with, who bring about the best results.
All this will take time and energy, but will be well worth it. A clean, well maintained home always sells faster and for more money.
Information on home selling provided by The Seay Realty Group, dedicated to service and exceeding your expectations. Call us today!