Are you preparing to sell your home this spring? Following the steps on this checklist will make your home more attractive to buyers. Some steps are quick and easy, others might entail a little more work, but all will be worth it!
Curb Appeal. How many clients have walked away from homes because they lack curb appeal? First impressions really do count – make sure your home’s exterior is neat, clean, and eye catching. Check HGTV.com or Houzz.com for ideas on popular curb appeal features in 2018.
Get your home into the best possible shape.
- Unclutter and depersonalize. Indoors, get rid of the clutter, even if you have to rent a storage unit! Don’t forget to declutter the garage! While you’re decluttering, be sure to rid your home of personalizing elements – photos, awards, etc. Check your countertops – do you really need all those items cluttering them?
- Neutralize the walls. If your walls need painting, or if your walls are vibrant colors, consider painting them a neutral color. Make sure trim is scuff free, or give it a fresh coat of paint.
- Fix the little things. You know … the jiggling door knob that has bugged you for awhile, the torn screen, the missing light bulb. Make sure the details that tell buyers you’ve taken good care of your home are in good repair.
- Clean, shine. Make sure everything is clean, clean, clean. Scrub that grout, clean those windows, vacuum those baseboards. Whatever it takes to make your home sparkle.
Add touches of nature. Healthy live plants, a bowl of fruit, fresh flowers all create a welcoming environment.
Do the Smell Test. Most homeowners are used to the way their home smells; do ask a good and trusted friend to give your home the sniff test, and take steps to eliminate the source of the odors. It might require carpet cleaning, or a deep cleaning, or even plumbing repair to make your home smell fresh & clean … well worth it!
Hide valuables. Make sure your valuables are locked up tight, or stored off-premise.
Consider staging your home. Home stagers will arrange your furniture and decor to showcase your home in its best possible light. We can recommend stagers we have worked with who will help you achieve the best results in your home sale.
Finally, find an outstanding realtor. Bankrate.com recommends 6 steps to finding a great real estate agent:
- Talk with recent clients
- Check their licensing with your state licensing board
- Check on their specialty – just like other professions, Realtors have specialty areas: CRS (Certified Residential Specialist), ABR (Accredited Buyers Representative) and SRES (Seniors Real Estate Specialist) are a few designations you may consider.
- How long has the agent been in business?
- What are the agent’s current listings? Has the agent used the internet effectively to showcase their listings?
- How familiar is your agent with your area?
As you search for a realtor, please consider The Seay Group Realty. Formed in 2006, we have one goal in mind: to provide our customers with outstanding personalized service from the best agents in the business! Call us today!