Your search results

Keep your Pets Safe over the Holidays

Posted by sarahebordelon on December 13, 2017
| 0

Pets - Holiday 2Here at the Seay Group Realty, our pets are like members of the family … and we know many of you feel the same way about your furry friends! Here are a few tips from the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) to help you keep your pets safe this holiday season.

The ASPCA suggests you keep your pet’s eating and exercise habits as close to their normal routine as possible. If your pet ingests something you’re not sure about, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number is 888-426-4435. Keep it by the phone just in case!

Please be aware of the following seasonal plants and decorations which could mean trouble for your pets:

Oh, Christmas Tree: Securely anchor your Christmas tree so it doesn’t tip and fall, causing possible injury to your pet. This will also prevent the tree water—which may contain fertilizers that can cause stomach upset—from spilling. Stagnant tree water is a breeding ground for bacteria, and your pet could end up with nausea or diarrhea should he imbibe.

Pets - Holiday 4Avoid Mistletoe & Holly: Holly, when ingested, can cause pets to suffer nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. And many varieties of lilies can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested. Opt for just-as-jolly artificial plants made from silk or plastic, or choose a pet-safe bouquet.

Tinsel-less Town: Kitties love this sparkly, light-catching “toy” that’s easy to bat around and carry in their mouths. But a nibble can lead to a swallow, which can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery. It’s best to brighten your boughs with something other than tinsel.

That Holiday Glow: Don’t leave lighted candles unattended. Pets may burn themselves or cause a fire if they knock candles over. Be sure to use appropriate candle holders, placed on a stable surface. And if you leave the room, put the candle out!

Pets - Holiday 5Wired Up: Keep wires, batteries and glass or plastic ornaments out of paws’ reach. A wire can deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock and a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus, while shards of breakable ornaments can damage your pet’s mouth and digestive tract.

People food toxic to pets: The ASPCA offers an extensive list here

Holiday pet safety tips provided by The Seay Group Realty, dedicated to service and exceeding expectations. Contact us today!


Compare Listings

%d bloggers like this: